Saturday, December 5, 2009

Off topic

A couple of off-topic items today. First, a T. S. Eliot quotation found not in my volume of Eliot poetry but on the Strategic Economic Decisions site. Isn’t that a sad commentary on my life? Anyway, here it is.

“Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?”
--T. S. Eliot, Choruses from The Rock (1934)

* * *

Second, Maira Kalman’s wonderful monthly New York Times blog And the Pursuit of Happiness, normally a blend of photographs, illustrations, and hand-printed text. The link here is to the first post from May 3, 2006; meander through the series. The last one, a tribute to "slow" food, appeared just after Thanksgiving this year.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Brenda,

    I love Kalman's work. Any moron can produce something weird and call it "original"; most intelligent people can produce something of quality. But to produce something both original and of quality, that takes some sort of genius.

    Best trading,

    Jorge

    PS: Loved your post Kaufman's fractal efficiency

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jorge,

    I'm glad you share my enthusiasm for Kalman's work.

    And thanks for the positive feedback on my fractal efficiency post. I'm always very insecure when doing anything that smacks of statistical analysis.

    Best,
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete